- The Red Cross
- Preparing to respond (Good Samaritan Act, prevention of disease transmission, first aid kits)
- The EMS system
- Patient assessment (check, call, care)
- Airway emergencies (choking in babies, child, adults)
- Breathing emergencies (asthma, anaphylaxis, hyperventilation, respiratory distress, respiratory arrest)
- Circulation emergencies (angina, heart attack, stroke, deadly bleeding, shock, cardiac arrest)
- Cardiac arrest management - CPR & AED (baby, child, adult)
- Head & spine injuries
- Fractures & sprains
- Wound care
- Sudden medical emergencies (fainting, diabetes, seizures, childbirth)
- Environmental emergencies & Poisons
Canadian Red Cross Standard First Aid is a 14-16 hour course that is taught over 2 full days, or during 4 evening sessions. Group and private courses can be scheduled flexibly to meet the needs of the client.
CPR-C is included in this course, providing certification in CPR & AED skills for babies, children, and adults. A complete description of course content is listed to the right.
Successful completion of the Standard First Aid course is based on 100% attendance, ongoing skills evaluation throughout the course, and a 75% or better mark on a knowledge examination.
The Standard First Aid course costs $145 per participant, which includes all taxes and a full colour manual.
Canadian Red Cross Standard First Aid certification is valid for 3 years.
All of our First Aid, CPR and AED courses follow the latest standards (2010 / 2011) put out by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR), the American Heart Association (AHA) and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC).
Who is Standard First Aid appropriate for?
- People with general interest in first aid
- People applying for the RCMP
- People applying for nursing programs
- People applying for dental programs
- People applying for federal corrections
- Scout and guide leaders
How to register for a Standard First Aid Course?
Our Standard First Aid courses are available on a group course basis throughout the Greater Vancouver area (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey, White Rock, Delta, Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver) and the Fraser Valley (Mission, Aldergrove, Abbotsford, Chilliwack).
To book a Standard First Aid course for your organization please click the button below.